Skip main navigation
Bookmark and Share
April 16, 2007

CalWORKS 75/25 program will help employers find and train new employees

WHO: Local business owners and hiring managers

WHAT: Can hire student workers through the Gavilan College CalWORKS program. Through a state-funded grant, CalWORKs will pay 75% of the hourly wage and the employer will be responsible for the remaining 25%. CalWORKs students are eligible for the program while they attend school. After the work-study contract is completed, employers will have the option of extending an offer of regular employment.

HOW IT WORKS: Once a CalWORKs student is ready to enter the job market, the CalWORKs staff will work with the student to identify jobs that match his or her education and job skills. Employers who have jobs available in the matched area will then be identified as possible employment opportunities for CalWORKs students. When an employer agrees to consider one of the CalWORKs students, Gavilan College staff will refer qualified and pre-screened students to the employer. After the employer has interviewed and selected an applicant for the position, an agreement will be signed between the college and the business.
WHY: The work-study program allows CalWORKs students to get employment training in the "real world". They also get a chance to complete their education and become more confident and economically self-sufficient. The long-term goal is to provide the student with an educational foundation and entry level job skills that will allow them to continue to grow personally and professionally.

There are benefits for both the student and the employer. Students gain valuable valuable work experience, learn how business works, receive income while they continue to learn, and learn workplace skills and expectations. Employers will have the opportunity to work with vocationally prepared and motivated college students. Applicants are pre-screened and there is minimal paperwork for employers to flll out. Employers will also receive personal service and follow up from the Gavilan College CalWORKs staff. By having 75% of the student's earning subsidized, employers will bear a lower cost for training new employees. By helping CalWORKS students gain employment skills and become self-sufficient, employers will be making an important contribution to the community.

CalWORKs is California's plan for people on public assistance. Gavilan College is a partner in this program, which assists CalWORKs participants at the community college while they prepare for employment. The college provides education, employment training, work-study and support including child care and transportation assistance. The goal of the program is for students to increase their wage earning power and to become economically self-sufficient. A counselor/advisor is available to work with the student to develop an educational and employment plan that addresses immediate as well as long term goals. Approximately 200 students participate in Gavilan College CalWORKS each academic year.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: please contact Annette Gutierrez at (408) 848-4798 or


Last modified: August 17, 2011
Gavilan College Red Diamond 5055 Santa Teresa Boulevard Red Diamond Gilroy, CA 95020 Red Diamond (408) 848-4800